I present you the Shotokan Karate's rules, which are my rules too, created by Nakayama sensei. There are known under the name of "Dojokun" :
- Jinkaku kansei ni tsutomuru koto = Seek perfection of character
- Makoto no michi o mamoru koto = Be sincere
- Doryoku no seishin o yashinau koto = Put maximum effort into everything you do
- Reigi o omonzuru koto = Respect others
- Kekki no yuu o imashimuru koto = Develop self-control
Trying to apply them everyday lead to the right way to follow. This is my point of view, and if you want to make this way yours practice !